Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Big White Dog part 1

Last night while traveling down a rural 2 lane highway with nothing but a rock quarry and lots of open space, I saw what I thought to be a very old dog, muddy, limping and walking with a broken spirit.  I drove on by, about 5 miles down the highway, my conscience got the better of me and I made a u-turn.  As I pulled up to the rock quarry, I noticed a few other cars had stopped too.  We tried for at least 45 minutes to catch her, then she squeezed through some barbed wire and headed for the orchards.   We all left feeling defeated.  She was heavy on my mind and I feared I would see her hit on the side of the road as I made my way home.  Much to my surprise,  I spotted her!!  She had traveled about 8 miles in the 2+ hours since I had last encountered her and a woman was trying to chase her, well she chased her right into the road and in front of a car.  Thankfully, the dog made it to the other side of the road.  After about an hour and with the help of a Subway Sandwich, I was able to catch her!!  She is not an old dog at all, beautiful white teeth, she appears to be 1-2 years old and was most likely dumped! 

I lead her to my car and as soon as I opened the door, she hopped in and settled down.  She is a WONDERFUL dog!  She totally ignored my cat, went right to my young son and then found a spot to rest.  She drank a lot of water and nibbled on food, but she was just too tired to eat :(

Tired Baby.......

She is depressed, tired, skinny, matted and the reason she was limping is because she has a nail that has curved around and embedded itself into her dangling dew claw!

This morning she ate a BIG breakfast!  She is still unsure of what has happened to her life.  She needs to be groomed (if anyone out there can volunteer some grooming we would gladly accept it!).  All in all, she is adjusting as well as can be expected, she has road rash on the top of her muzzle and the embedded nail, but other than that, she seems healthy.  She LOVES kids and has been very calm in the house.


I think she may very well be a Great PyreneesShe is going to be a stunning dog once cleaned up and healed. 


We will be looking for an adopter for this beauty if her family is not found, we would like to think that someone is out there looking for her, but the reality of it is that she was most likely dumped to fend for herself.


We need a name for this beauty, post any ideas you have for her new name in the comment section or join us on Face Book!!  Any donations for her grooming, vet care, etc.. would be greatly appreciated. She does need a few things of her own, like a bed, crate, toys (all of these things will go with her when she is adopted)


Stay tuned for updates!! 
Posted by Picasa