Sunday, May 30, 2010

Save a life!! Become a foster parent :)

Spring has sprung and puppy and kitten season is here in full force! We at Pupz N Palz Rescue depend on foster homes and without them we would be lost. The foster home is truly the heartbeat of our Pupz N Palz Rescue. Although there are many ways to volunteer, the most needed help is fostering. By becoming a foster parent, you literally are saving the lives of the animals you foster! As you look at the list of adoptable pets we have available, just think of the one that we could not save due to a lack of foster homes.

We get request daily to take in everything from adult dogs, puppies, kittens, cats and even recently 2 pet rats!! Sadly, we turn down more that we accept.

If you would like to be part of the solution, consider becoming a foster parent! It's rewarding, it's fun and at times it's really frustrating, but well worth the effort when you consider that you are saving lives.

Below is our foster application, please fill one out and submit it today!

Not sure if you want to become a foster parent? Shoot us an e-mail, leave us your contact information and one of our volunteers will get back to you to tell you about the program, the pro's and con's and answer any questions you may have.

Pupz N Pals Foster Application/Agreement
 
Please read before submitting your application.

As a foster family I agree to provide nutritious meals, fresh water, grooming, a safe environment, and appropriate shelter for this foster dog. I will not leave my foster dog tied up ever.. I will never leave my foster dog unattended in a vehicle when it is 70 degrees or hotter, even with the windows rolled down. I understand that this can cause heat stroke and the death of a dog. I agree to arrange my family’s schedule so that the dog is seldom left alone for more than eight hours at a stretch. I agree to play with, pet and give attention to my foster dog when I am home. I agree to let Pupz N Palz know if there is any change in the health of the dog and will get clearance before I get anything other then emergency care for my foster dog. I will check my foster dog regularly for any signs of illness. I will do frequent flea and tick checks on my foster dog.

I will give a firm "NO!" or shake coins in a can to let my foster dog know that he is exhibiting bad behavior. I will NEVER hit my foster dog. I understand that dog trainers acknowledge that this is an ineffective way of changing bad behavior. I will seek to modify behavior by praising the behavior that I desire. I agree to consult with Pupz N Palz, dog care books or videos from the library if I am experiencing any behavior difficulties with my foster dog. I will closely supervise my dog when around children (especially children, or adults, he/she is not familiar with). I will closely monitor my foster dog when near roadways or water, when riding in a vehicle (preferably the dog should be in a dog crate during car travel) and in any other situation which is potentially dangerous to my foster dog. I will have my foster dog wear an identification tag with a phone number at all times. I agree to any home visits needed, as determined by Pupz N Palz. I will relinquish the dog upon request.

I understand that Pupz N Palz does its best to evaluate a dog’s temperament and behavior. I will not hold Pupz N Palz liable for any damage the dog does. Pupz N Palz is concerned about the health of the animals in its care and exercises due caution to prevent the transmission of diseases. Unless you are notified otherwise, the animals you foster will have been given preventive immunizations. However, because of the dire circumstances from which many of the rescue animals come, any animal may carry or could have already been exposed to an infectious disease, which may not be apparent for several days. Pupz N Pals cannot warrant or guarantee the foster dog is healthy or good-natured. Any animal has the potential to bite or cause injury. You have determined for yourself the animal is acceptable for you and your household to foster, and you agree to indemnify and hold Pupz N Palz, Pupz N Palz volunteers and other Pupz N Palz representatives harmless for any illness the animal may develop and any injury or damage this foster dog may cause once you have taken possession of the animal. By signing below, you acknowledge that you have read, understand and agree to all terms laid out in the two pages of this contract

***If you are in agreement to these terms, please complete the form below e-mail it to PUPZNPALS@AOL.COM or fax your application form to 209-571-8662.

***If Pupz N Palz is forced to retain an attorney in enforcing this contract, recipient agrees to pay Pupz N Palz’s reasonable attorney’s fees, compensate for time, gas and any other costs incurred in same.
DOG RESCUE FOSTER HOME APPLICATION / CONTRACT
Name:
Phone:
Address:
City:
Zip:
Major Cross Streets:
E-mail Address
Alternate E-mail Address
Place of Work:
What Type of Work do You Do?
Name of Employer:
Names and Numbers of 3 people who will always know how to contact you
Name
Relationship
(H)
(W)
Name
Relationship
(H)
(W)
Name
Relationship
(H)
(W)
What makes you want to foster a pet now

What kinds of pets have you previous had

What happened to them

What is the longest you have owned a pet

Do you know how to crate train a pet
Yes No
Do you know basic dog obedience techniques?
Yes No
Please describe any training/experience you have had in handling animals:


Do your pets have licenses/identification/microchips?
Yes No
Please list the pets you now have in your home:
TYPE OF PET
AGE
(FE)MALE
SPAYED/NEUTERED
DATE/TYPE OF VACCINATION
SUBMISSIVE/DOMINANT

Do you have children

Ages

Are your children trained to handle animals gently?

Will the children be closely supervised while with your foster dog?

Who will be the primary foster caretaker for the dog?

Who will feed, water, and walk the dog ?

Is everyone aware of the amount of time and attention a dog needs?

What is the family schedule like?


How long will the foster dog be left alone?

Where will you keep the dog when no one is home?

Do you live in a house/apartment/other?

Do you rent or own?

If you rent, do you have permission in writing from the owner/manager to keep a dog?

What is the pet weight limit?

Do you have a secure, fenced in yard?

What type of fence?

How high?

How big is the yard?

Do you have a covered, shaded area in the yard or a dog house?

Do you have a doggie door?

What will you do if your foster dog knocks over a plant or chews something in your home?

What if your foster dog turns out to be a "barker"?

What if your pet plays roughly/is aggressive?

What will you do if your foster dog has a potty accident?

What do you plan to do if the foster dog does not work out in your home?

What types of dogs or cats would you like to foster?

Are you willing to attend dog obedience classes or seminars offered by DOG RESCUE?

Do you or any of your family members have any known allergies to dogs

By signing below, I am acknowledge that the above statements are true and correct. I further acknowledge that I nor has anyone in my household or who would be in contact with the foster dog has ever been accused of or convicted of a crime against an animal.


___________________________ ___________2010
Signature Date